Chicken is such a common meal nowadays but once upon a time the classic roast chicken was what we had on special occasions or Sunday lunch with the family. Our recipe uses a whole organic chicken however if you require more just buy extra individual pieces and add to the roast. We always include a salad, our choice is simple with Frilled lettuce salad with herbs.
- 1.75kg / 3.85lb whole chicken – extra pieces if required
- 1 tablespoon olive oil – for chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon dry thyme
- 5 medium to large potatoes – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil – for potatoes
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 180C / 356F.
- To a large oven proof tray add olive oil and spread across tray.
- Prepare the chicken by cutting into serving pieces. With a sharp knife cut the legs and wings. Half the torso from front and back. Repeat by halving and halving again.
- Rinse pieces, pat dry and add to the tray.
- Sprinkle thyme over chicken.
- Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn pieces. Roast a further 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken again for the last 15 minutes.
- Check if cooked by placing a skewer in thickest part of the chicken if juices run clear it is ready.
- When the chicken is in the oven prepare the potatoes.
- Add to an oven proof dish with olive oil and mix lightly.
- Place in oven 15 minutes into the chicken cooking time and cook for 60 minutes.
- Every 15 minutes rotate potatoes to avoid sticking.
- Prepare Frilled lettuce salad with herbs or salad of choice.
- In a large serving dish arrange the cooked chicken pieces in the centre with the potatoes on the outside.
- Serve the chicken and potatoes with salad.