The roasted vegetables combine with the homemade vegetable stock to make a very simple yet tasty soup. Best with homemade vegetable stock but if you are time poor you can substitute with a good quality packaged stock.
- 1L / 1.7pt vegetable stock (homemade or packaged) – less stock for thicker soup
- 4 tomatoes – washed, blanched
- 1 tablespoon olive oil – for roasting
- 4 cups butternut pumpkin – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 1 red capsicum – seeded, washed, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil – for frying
- 1 onion – peeled, rinsed, sliced finely
- 1 garlic clove – peeled, rinsed, crushed
- Prepare the stock. Prepare vegetables.
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 200C / 390F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil. Add tomatoes for 1-2 minutes to blanch. Remove, peel skins and slice in half.
- Oil the oven proof dish add tomatoes faced down, capsicum and pumpkin. Place dish into oven for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot add olive oil and heat to medium, cook the onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Place prepared roasted vegetables and vegetable stock into the pot on high bringing to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes. In a food processor or blender blend soup and serve.