Making vegetable stock is easy and you can use a variety of vegetables to your taste. We have found that the combinations listed in our vegetable stock give a nice flavour to any recipe. If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand you could substitute others or increase the volume on some of the other vegetables you do have.
- 2 carrots – peeled, rinsed, quartered, diced
- 2 celery sticks – washed, stringed, halved, diced
- 1 zucchini – washed, halved, diced
- 1 small sweet potato – peeled, rinsed, halved, diced
- 1 onion – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled, rinsed, crushed
- 1 bunch parsley – washed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.25L / 4pt water
- Prepare vegetables.
- Add vegetables and water to a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Simmer on a low to medium heat uncovered for 1 hour.
- Stock should reduce to approximately 1 litre / 1.7 pints.
- Separate vegetables from stock by straining.
- Use stock as required.