A simple pasta dish that made its way on the scene around the mid 20th Century and usually includes anchovies. Our recipe centres around vegetables and herbs that make a quick and tasty meal. Great for a fast work day dinner.
- 1 large onion – peeled, rinsed, halved, sliced, diced finely
- 1 large clove garlic – peeled, rinsed, crushed
- 2 x 400g tin of tomatoes – pureed
- 10 small fresh basil leaves – rinsed
- 1 marinated roasted capsicum or equivalent – sliced finely
- 30 black olives – deseeded, halved
- 20 capers
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves – washed, stems removed, sliced finely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g packet spaghetti – cooked to packet instructions or taste
- Prepare ingredients for sauce.
- Heat oil in a medium size pot on medium.
- Add onion and garlic cook 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add tomato puree with basil raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat to simmer covered for 40 minutes.
- Add olives, capsicum and capers for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Meantime cook the spaghetti to packet instructions or taste.
- Strain and place in large serving bowl.
- Add sauce and half of the parsley into the spaghetti. Mix well.
- Serve into plates with extra parsley or place serving bowl on table with a side plate of parsley.