This meal is a bit of a set and forget dish which frees you up while it is cooking. With an assortment of garden vegetables bathed in red wine and tomato puree it makes a rich and tasty dish which is soaked up by fragrant jasmine rice. We have put a guide of 1/2-1 cup of wine, adding the larger quantity strengthens the richness and boldness of the dish. Likewise if you prefer a more delicate taste add the lesser amount of wine.
- 1 large onion – peeled, rinsed, diced roughly
- 1 large garlic – peeled, rinsed, crushed
- 2 carrots – peeled, ends removed, washed, sliced in round 1/2cm / 0.2in wide
- 2 zucchini – washed, ends removed, sliced in round 1/2cm / 0.2in wide
- 2 small potatoes – peeled, washed, diced into small pieces
- 1 red capsicum – washed, deseeded, sliced into 2cm / 0.8in squares
- 1 green capsicum – washed, deseeded, sliced into 2cm / 0.8in squares
- 1 cup of frozen peas – defrosted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups bottled puree tomatoes
- 2 cups jasmine rice – rinsed, soaked, cooked to packet instructions
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on low heat.
- Add onion and garlic saute for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add wine, mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add all the vegetables except the peas. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the puree tomatoes mix well. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat to low and cover, cook for 30 minutes.
- Prepare rice and be ready to cook rice to packet instructions when adding the peas to the stew.
- Add the peas to stew and mix well. Cook a further 10 minutes covered.
- Cook rice and drain well. Note that when the rice is soaked prior to cooking, cooking time is reduced, so test the rice 6-7 minutes if boiling.
- Prepare plates by adding portion of rice and portion of stew on serving plates. Or serve stew and rice separately in large serving bowls.