Vegetable chickpea curry
Prep 20 min - Cook 1hr 50 min / Serves 4 – 6 / Photographer – Janet Zenari / Bookmark / Featured / Print /
- Leave a Comment
Brighten up your day with this colourful assortment of vegetables finished with a creamy coconut red curry. A large part of the cooking time is leaving the dish to simmer sealing in all the wonderful flavours while sending heavenly smells through the house.
- 1 large onion – skin removed, rinsed, halved, sliced finely
- 1 clove garlic – skin removed, rinsed, crushed
- 7 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups bottled tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 small cauliflower – washed, leaves removed, cut stems short, break into small portions
- 1 small broccoli – washed, leaves removed, cut stems short, break into small portions
- 1 red capsicum – washed, cut in half, seeds removed, cut into small squares
- 1 green capsicum – washed, cut in half, seeds removed, cut into small squares
- 5 medium carrots – peeled, washed, stem removed, cut into rounds
- 1 medium sweet potato – peeled, washed, halved, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium potatoes – peeled, washed, quartered, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups brown rice – 2 x qty simple brown rice recipe
- 2 cups of chickpeas – cooked, washed, drained
- Prepare onion and garlic.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil in a medium pot on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato puree and water and raise heat to high to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the spices and rest of the vegetables.
- Add spices to tomato puree mixing well cook 2 minutes.
- Add coconut cream and raise heat to boil then low to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a deep large pan add 4 tablespoons olive oil and heat on low to medium.
- Add cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli and cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add red and green capsicum and cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots and cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add sweet potato and potato and cover pan on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Prepare rice according to simple brown rice recipe. Set aside covered.
- Add cooked coconut and tomato sauce to deep pan vegetable, mix well cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add to deep pan chickpeas mix well cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve on individual plates or in separate serving bowls.