Simple spices and chilli give warmth on a much needed winter’s day. Simple to make, even simpler if you use packaged stock for a convenient dinner you prepare and set to cook. You can plan ahead with your home-made stock, cook on a different day and freeze. If you plan to use homemade stock where you cook on the same day add an extra 70 minutes to the preparation time, most of which is set and forget till the timer goes off!
- 6 cups vegetable stock (homemade or packaged)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled, rinsed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 red bird’s eye chilli – washed, stem removed, sliced finely
- 4 cups sweet potatoes – approximately 4 medium – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 3 cups carrots – approximately 4 medium – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 400g / 14oz can chickpeas – drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice – approximately half a lemon
- If making homemade stock prepare vegetable stock. Prepare vegetables, spices, chickpeas and squeeze lemon juice.
- In a large pot heat oil on medium. Add onion and garlic to cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add spices and chilli. Mix well and cook for 1 minute, stir frequently.
- Add sweet potatoes and carrots mix well. Cook for 10 minutes stir occasionally.
- Add stock, cover and bring to the boil, approximately 5 minutes. Reduce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and cook on low for a further 10 minutes.
- With a food processor or blender, blend till smooth.
- Add lemon juice mix well and serve.