A very simple, earthy, basic and low cost soup. Easily comes together with not much preparation if you have the vegetable stock on hand or use a packaged one. Serve with your favourite crusty bread.
- 8 cups vegetable stock (homemade x 2 or packaged)
- 2 cups green whole lentils – rinsed
- 1 large onion – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 3 large carrots – peeled, rinsed, diced
- 1 large garlic clove – peeled, rinsed, crushed
- 2 cups English spinach – washed, roots removed, sliced finely, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups bottled tomato puree
- 2 sprigs thyme – rinsed
- If making homemade stock prepare vegetable stock – double quantity of recipe. Prepare vegetables and lentils.
- In a large pot heat oil on medium. Add onion, carrots, garlic, spinach and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and mix through vegetables.
- Add stock, tomato puree and thyme cover the pot. Increase heat to high to boil.
- When boiling reduce heat to medium for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat to simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Mix well before serving and serve in individual bowls.